Back when I was a kid, Blogs were called 'imaginary friends' and were only slightly more pathetic.

Sunday, June 20, 2004

Paul Simon, racist

Kodachrome, you give me the nice bright colors...I got a Nikon camera....

There's a lot of reasons to hate Paul Simon's song 'Kodachrome', from it's product placement-before-product placement-was cool lyrics, to the overall pointlessness of it. This song doesn't begin to really annoy me, however, until he starts in with the Al Jolsen-ish "Mama don't take my Kodachrome, Mama don't take my Kodachrome awaaaayy" section.

If you've written a song that anyone could compare to a 1920s Minstrel show, you've written a real piece of shit.

My father, who is not ashamed of anything, is very reluctant to talk about a picture in one of his old college yearbooks of him in full blackface as part of the 'University of Oklahoma Minstrel' performers. To me, of course, it remains one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life.

|

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home